Thursday, June 25, 2009

Communication in teams

I have always been a fan of working within a team. I think its very difficult to work on a team, simply because everybody has something different to offer as far as strenghts. In chapter 8 they do a good job in say teams usually fall into three categories, project team, work team and quality improvement teams. Now a project team helps coordinate the successful completion of a particular. Second is the matrix team,which are characterized by dual reporting relationships.The one that stood out to me the most was work team, it it a group of employees responsible for the entire work process that delivers a product or service to a customer. Now being part of a work team makes you feel like you are part of a team. The team its self is responsible for the good and the bad that comes from work.

3 comments:

  1. Teams are hard – especially when not every team member is willing to participate. I feel that work teams might be (hopefully) better because their jobs are on the line, but my experiences working with groups in school have been good and VERY bad. I have had group members plagiarize huge portions, members who refuse to meet in person, members who refuse to do work, and overall, poor performers. Teams can make or break a project and hopefully at work we all get put with good hardworking team members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have had my fair share of good and bad teams. The best team I have ever had was for a statistics course. We communicated primiarly through blackboard discussions boards and elluminate. What made the team so great is that team members voluntarily picked up the slack from a team member who early on had dropped out of our group. And then we spent time online together reviewing final versions of our project to make sure that it made sense and what we as a team wanted to submit. Doing so enabled us to catch details that we may have missed on our individual parts and to add any suggestions we had on each others parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I wanted to write something additional. Even though my group mates and I worked virtually, we didn't feel alienated from each other because we made sure to keep each other updated on our progress. I think that's an important aspect to working with any group; letting others know how far we've progressed and reaching out for help if we need it.

    ReplyDelete